About La Mother Tongue


La Mother Tongue is my medium to share the joys and challenges of being a new parent as well as to share how we make a conscious effort in our daily life to bring baby up bilingual.

Monday, July 1, 2013

Caña de Azucar


My esposo fondly speaks of his time spent with his abuelo on the finca.  (Mi esposo uses the word Chacra which originates from the Quechua language.)  On the finca, el abuelo grew lots of different things, especially citrus.  But I remember hearing that he also grew caña de azúcar.  So when I saw cañas in Wholefoods, I knew I had to buy one so that Sofía could see what one looked like.  If Sofía lived in Perú or Colombia, surly she would already have sipped some guarapo (juice from sugar cane) and witnessed the machine extracting the juice at one of the various roadside stands.

Luckily we have YouTube to help keep in touch with our heritage!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment